You know that as part of your in-the-wild testing and mobile matrix coverage you’re supposed to test on different carriers. After all, differ carriers have varying coverage. So if you’re launching a mobile app, what are the most important carriers to focus on?
Obviously you’ll want to look at the region you’re launching in to identify the most important local carriers. But on a global scale, Wireless Intelligence has identified these 20 networks as having the most connections in its most recent annual report.
- China Mobile (China): 683 million connections, one country
- Vodafone Group (Albania, Australia, Czech Republic, Egypt, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, South Africa, Spain, Turkey, UK): 387 million connections, 22 countries
- América Móvil Group (United States, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay): 252 million connections, 18 countries
- Bharti Airtel Group (Kenya, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Zambia, Uganda, Malawi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Niger, Burkina Faso, Gabon, Chad, Congo Brazzaville, Madagascar, Seychelles, Nigeria, Rwanda, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka): 250 million connections, 20 countries
- Telefónica Group (Mexico, Guatemala, Panama, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Columbia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Spain, Ireland, UK, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, Slovakia, China): 243.5 million connections, 22 countries
6. China Unicom (China, Hong Kong): 219 million connections, two country
7. VimpelCom Group 2 (Russia, Italy, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Armenia, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Cambodia, Laos, Algeria, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Burundi, Zimbabwe, Central African Republic, Canada): 205 million connections, 18 countries
8. Reliance Communications (India): 155 million connections, one country
9. Telenor Group (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Hungary, Serbia, Montenegro, Malaysia, Thailand, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan): 153 million connections, 11 countries
10. China Telecom (China, Hong Kong): 144 million connections, two country
11. MTN Group (Afghanistan, Benin, Botswana, Cameroon, Congo Brazzaville, Cote D’Ivoire, Cyprus, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea Conakry, Iran, Liberia, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Syria, Uganda, Yemen, Zambia): 136.5 million connections, 21 countries
12. France Telecom Group (Botswana, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Egypt, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Conakry, Equatorial Guinea, Iraq, Jordan, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Niger, Uganda, Centrafrican Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Senegal, Tunisia, Vanuatu, Armenia, Belgium, Spain, France, Luxemburg, Moldova, Poland, Portugal, Romania, UK, Slovakia, Dominican Republic): 133 million connections, 33 countries
13. Telkomsel Group (Indonesia): 117 million connections, one country
14. Idea Cellular (India): 117 million connections, one country
15. Sistema Group (Russia): 114.5 million connections, one country
16. Verizon Wireless (US, additional support for Anguilla, Antigua, Aruba, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Canada, Cayman Islands, China, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guam, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Macao, Mexico, Netherlands Antilles, Northern Mariana Islands, Palestinian Authority, Philippines, Puerto Rico, South Korea, St. Croix, St. John, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Ukraine, Venezuela, Vietnam, Virgin Islands, Yemen): 111 million connections, one country with travel coverage for 42 countries
17. Deutsche Telekom Group (Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Russia, Switzerland, Slovakia, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, UK, Canada, Mexico, US, Argentina, Brazil, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, China, South Africa): 108 million connections, 38 counrties
18. AT&T (US with travel support for 225 countries): 105 million connections, one country with travel support for 225 additional countries worldwide
19. Telecom Italia (too many countries to list): 101 million connections, many countries in the Americas, Europe, Mediterranean Basin and Africa, Middle East, Asia Pacific
20. BSNL (India): 98 million connections, one country
So there you go, the top 20 wireless carriers and the countries they cover. Happy testing!